Re: [RNG] Towards release 1.2

Hi,

The outstanding issue (RNG-57) is a performance enhancement in the core library [1].

The speed improvement has been demonstrated. However the effect on the randomness has not been tested using the 3rd party DieHarder and BigCrush test suites. I would be reluctant to change the core library without verifying the impact of the change.

A second issue is that the change causes the current test suite to fail. This has been investigated and is due to the fact that the test suite is performing many tests of randomness with statistical tests for acceptance. The modification alters the sequences generated by the test suite from their fixed seeds and the results are no longer accepted. Basically after enough tests for randomness something will almost certainly fail. That is what is happening after the enhancement is put into the core module.

Ideally the suite would work with random seeds and use a more selective set of tests (to reduce the chance for failures) but I have not had time to look at reengineering the test suite.

It may be better to delay this for a later release.

Regards,

Alex

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-57 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RNG-57>