Re: Basic vs advanced networking

Hi Jon,

In short you are right – advanced networking offers a lot more features, and the only benefit of basic networking is a simpler setup (no VRs) as well as to a certain degree more scalability since you can run relatively large L3 networks (with the proviso that broadcast traffic may be a limiting factor). As security groups rely on access to underlying networking on the hypervisor they will also most likely never work on VMware due to the proprietary nature of ESXi.

If you look through the user@ / dev@ mailing list you’ll see we have started discussions around deprecating basic networks for advanced zone with security groups – since the latter offers the same networking functionality as basic (security groups, no VRs) but offers the scalability of running multiple of these basic type networks (a traditional basic zone can only run one network).

So all in all if you are looking at longer term strategy whilst wanting the simplicity of basic networking you should look at this option (looks like you might have played with this already).

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue