[Solved] Re: PV vs HVM guest on XenServer 7.0

After more investigation, I found out that  changing template's "OS Type" assignment affects how a VM is started as PV or HVM guest on either XenServer 6.5 or 7.0 clusters:

On XenServer 6.5 clusters,  64 bit RHEL guests with versions up to 6.7 (last 6.x version listed by ACS 4.9.3.0) are always started as PV guest, and they all run properly.
On XenServer 7.0 clusters,  64 bit RHEL guests with versions up to 6.4 are started as PV guests and run properly, guests with version 6.5 onwards are started as HVM guest, and these won't start.

So, the simple work around is to assign "RHEL 6.4 (64bit)" to all my rhel 6.x templates so that guests using these templates are always started as PV guest regardless the version of XenServer cluster they are running on.

IMHO, I think this is a bug in CloudStack, that is all rhel 6.x guests should be started as PV guests regardless Xen hypervisor versions (I only verified on XenServer 6.5 and 7.0).

Yiping