Cleanup cluster after expansion?

Environment: Cassandra 2.2.9, GNU/Linux CentOS 6 + 7. Two DCs, 3 RACs in DC1 and 6 in DC2.

We recently added 16 new nodes to our 38-node cluster (now 54 nodes). What would be the safest and most
efficient way of running a cleanup operation? I’ve experimented with running cleanup on a single node and
nodetool just hangs, but that seems to be a known issue.

Would something like running it on a couple of nodes per day, working through the cluster, work?