Re: Connections info

Note that one "user"/application can open multiple connections. You have also the number of Thrift connections available in JMX if you run a legacy application.

Max is right, regarding where they're come from you can use lsof. For instance on AWS - but you can adapt it for your needs:

IP=...
REGION=...

ssh $IP "sudo lsof -i -n | grep 9042 | grep -Po '(?<=->)[^:]+' | sort -u" | xargs -P 20 -I '{}' aws --output json --region $REGION ec2 describe-instances --filter Name=private-ip-address,Values={} --query 'Reservations[].Instances[*].Tags[*]' | jq '.[0][0] | map(select(.Key == "Name")) | .[0].Value' | sort | uniq -c

You'll have number of instances grouped by AWS name :
      3 "name_ABC"
     15 "name_example"
     37 "name_test"

Best,