Re: Tombstone

                       The Partition key is made of datetime(basically date truncated to hour) and bucket.I think your RCA may be correct since we are deleting the partition rows one by one not in a batch files maybe overlapping for the particular partition.A scheduled thread picks the rows for a partition based on current datetime and bucket number and checks whether for each row the entiry is past due or not, if yes we trigger a event and remove the entry.

On Tue 19 Jun, 2018, 7:58 PM Jeff Jirsa, <jjirsa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The most likely explanation is tombstones in files that won’t be collected as they potentially overlap data in other files with a lower timestamp (especially true if your partition key doesn’t change and you’re writing and deleting data within a partition)

--
Jeff Jirsa