Feedback requested for CASSANDRA-11559 (enhancing node representation)
I've been recently working on the ticket mentioned above (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-11559). The ticket is
suggesting improving the current representation of the node from IP address
and port to IP address, the port and the UUID. This would potentially allow
more convenient work with nodes in many operations, but particularly the
replacement ones come into mind.
I've done some work on this ticket and it's available at
1. I've refactored *InetAddressAndPort* class into *VirtualEndpoint* class
across all the codebase (this will be responsible for the majority of the
2. I've added a UUID field to hold the hostID value of the endpoint and
added additional methods for working with it.
3. I've reworked the *TokenMetadata* to hold structures other than maps
for UUID-host references and they would no longer be needed, i.e. keeping
just a set of endpoints is enough to hold both address data and the
hostID data and to also look up hosts by IDs or the vice versa.
4. I've reworked the *SystemKeyspace* to also acknowledge the hostIDs where
significant (in local data/peer data storing/fetching), and also only
create new local id if requested (in most cases only when the node is
created for the first time, but also useful for tests that require
initiating multiple "nodes" on the same machine)
5. I've added a field in *DatabaseDescriptor* to mark that
*SystemKeyspace* is ready to be read. This is required for many unit
tests that set up clusters "on the fly" and for further endpoint
information discovery during the test run.
6. I've updated required unit tests to properly utilise the new object
and initialise others as required.
7. I've updated the code in some other locations to incorporate this
change, which does make it simpler on many occasions.
The current state is everything *seems* to be working and the unit tests
The complication that comes out of this work is with building unit tests -
the host ID would now be kept in multiple structures:
- a VirtualEndpoint object when instantiated.
- SystemKeyspace.localHost (queries the DB)
- SystemKeyspace.peersInfo (queries the DB)
- TokenMetadata lists (such as allEndpoints, tokenMap, etc)
- Gossip.instance.endpointState maps (the specific endpoint is added
including the uuid)
- FBUtilities also keeps local reference once fetched.
As a result, when you're creating tests, you'd need to update or
clear the hostID-related information in all relevant places, otherwise,
tests would fail with really confusing messages (in most cases because in
some thread an endpoint comparison will happen and UUIDs won't match), such
as "no seeds found", "host cannot be contacted" or various kinds of
timeouts and NPEs. Additionally, when SystemKeyspace is ready to be read
within a test flow, a DatabaseDescriptor.canReadSystemKeyspace field will
need to be set to *true* so that the UUID would be fetched from
Additionally, at the moment we are keeping EndpointState separately from
this object (in Gossip). Considering that now this VirtualEndpoint can
include basically any information about the endpoint, it may as well
incorporate its own state, and then all handling of the network/state
information about an endpoint will be in one place. Supposedly this should
simplify things further and allow clearing a lot of code.
Ariel Weisberg has done the previous move away from InetAddress
representation to InetAddressAndPort, which this current patch changes
considerably. I'd love your feedback on this.
Any and all feedback is very welcome.
*Software Engineer*+61 423177059
Read our latest technical blog posts here
This email has been sent on behalf of Instaclustr Pty. Limited (Australia)
and Instaclustr Inc (USA).
This email and any attachments may contain confidential and legally
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, do not copy
or disclose its content, but please reply to this email immediately and
highlight the error to the sender and then immediately delete the message.