Re: Relational algebra and signal processing

Maybe this is a separate but related problem, however we see the same thing
with events in other use cases that are complex such as path analysis.
Let's say you are a cable provider and you want to identify channel
surfers. You define a channel surfer as any user that has flipped across 3
channels in a 5 minute window. Now you want to count the number of channel
surfers you had watching the Super Bowl. Can that be accomplished with
MATCH_RECOGNIZE? Some of this seems very similar to the use case Julian F
kicked this thread off with as it requires a transformation from time
series to event by way of pattern identification within a window of time.
Julian, you may need to FILL the window to achieve equal time increments so
the pattern match can be accomplished, but I'm not sure in this use case
you need to. Julian F is this use case similar? I would imagine you could
index the pattern matching part with a function-based index, which could be
implemented as some kind of secondary index via materialized views in
Calcite. Since it is on time series you could optimize maintenance of that
index as long as your window for pattern discovery was small enough.

Ruhollah Farchtchi
ruhollah.farchtchi@xxxxxxxxx