[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [DISCUSS] Towards Calcite 1.18


Sorry for holding it back...I was busy doing other things...
I've went thru it; and right now I don't see any new issues; I've only noticed a bug going away :)


On 12/18/18 3:21 AM, Julian Hyde wrote:

Can you give us a status update please?

The release train is waiting for you.


On Dec 16, 2018, at 12:20 PM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

An update on release 1.18.

We have had two release candidates RC0 and RC1, and both votes have
been cancelled due to faults found by Hive's test suite.

I will roll RC2 when I hear from Zoltan that the Hive suite has passed
against the latest commit. See

Jacques just pushed a fix to master. I backed it out because (a) our
policy is to release from master branch, which means that we have to
lock master during releases, and (b) his commit generated warnings. It
will go into 1.19. See

I let Jesus commit a minor addendum to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2673 on Friday.

On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 6:04 PM Francis Chuang <francischuang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:


Avatica 1.13.0 has been tagged and pushed. I also uploaded the release
artifacts and I am just waiting for the artifacts to propagate across
the mirrors before I make a formal announcement and push the website.


On 3/12/2018 10:08 am, Julian Hyde wrote:

Much appreciated! The nexus push was successful, and I was able to use
avatica-1.13 in builds. I'll make sure that we do not announce the
Calcite release 1.18, or push the
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2716 fix to master,
until avatica-1.13 is officially announced.


On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 12:23 AM Francis Chuang <francischuang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for taking this on, Julian!

The vote for Avatica 1.13.0 has closed and I plan to release the 1.13.0
soon (I need to wait for the docker hub repository in INFRA-17333 [1] to
be created, otherwise the docker hub build will fail once I push the tag
for rel/avatica-1.13.0.

I've promoted the 1.13.0 repository in nexus, so this should not block
Calcite 1.18.0-rc0.


[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-17333

On 1/12/2018 11:11 pm, Michael Mior wrote:
Thanks Julian! Unfortunately with family visiting this weekend, my
bandwidth is currently fairly low but I'll try to churn through some PRs
early this coming week.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 23:00 Julian Hyde <jhyde@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

It looks as if Avatica will be released soon, and as that was our main
dependency for Calcite 1.18, we can move ahead with the release.

I volunteer to be release manager for Calcite 1.18, and propose that we
make an RC on Monday.

There are a lot of PRs (107 open currently)[1]. I can’t get through them
all myself, so I will need help reviewing & merging them. (If you are
committer, look in the JIRA case to see whether someone has begun reviewing
the PR. I am reviewing several right now.)

Even with help, we are not going to get to all PRs. That will have to be
OK; it has been too long since we had a release, and we just don’t have
enough active committers to deal with the number of incoming contributions.


[1] https://github.com/apache/calcite/pulls

On Nov 6, 2018, at 4:24 AM, Michael Mior <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not strictly necessary I believe, but I know there's a desire to upgrade
Jetty in Calcite that can't happen until the Avatica release, so it would
be nice to see that happen first.

Le lun. 5 nov. 2018 à 16:31, Francis Chuang <francischuang@xxxxxxxxxx> a
écrit :

I think we should consider releasing new versions of Calcite and Avatica
soon, especially with the Thanksgiving holiday in North America and
Christmas + New Year later in December/January coming up.

Am I correct to assume that we need to release Avatica 1.13.0 before
Calcite 1.18.0?

If so, I am able to be release manager for Avatica if no one else is

On 21/10/2018 6:13 PM, Michael Mior wrote:
Thanks for continuing to push releases forward! Unfortunately I won't
able to volunteer to be release manager this time around, but I'll try
set aside some time to go through some PRs.

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018, 02:21 Julian Hyde <jhyde@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK, it's now exactly 3 months since 1.17. I think it's time. I think
we should aim for a first RC a week from today (Friday 26th October).

Can we have a volunteer to be release manager?

Also, there are lots of PRs to review and merge. Please help out with
that task, committers.


On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 11:00 AM Julian Hyde <jhyde@xxxxxxxxxx>
We’ll be sure to get PRs into the release. If you like, you can make
JIRA case depend on those 3 cases - that will remind us.
(Other contributors: You can do that also, but only if you have a PR
that you believe is ready to submit.)
On Sep 20, 2018, at 8:18 AM, Andrew Pilloud
<apilloud@xxxxxxxxxx.INVALID> wrote:
Beam has a few JIRAs we'd like to see make the next release (which
enable us to replace 11k lines of code with calls to Calcite). They
have open PRs.

* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2404 Accessing
structured-types is not implemented by the runtime
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2529 linq4j should
integer to floating point when generating function calls
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2571 TRIM does not
the behavior of most SQL implementations


On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 6:38 PM Kevin Risden <krisden@xxxxxxxxxx>
9/25 should be the GA release of JDK 11 according to [1]. Would be
good to
ensure that the next release is compatible with it. We should be in
shape but would be a good release note too.

1. http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/11/

Kevin Risden

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018, 20:56 Francis Chuang <

For avatica, there are currently 6 open PRs. A few of them appear
blocked due to incompatibilities with JDK or something else.
situation has now changed and we can get those in for 1.13.

On 20/09/2018 9:26 AM, Julian Hyde wrote:
I have logged

* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2576 <
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2576> Release
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2575 <
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2575> Release

On Sep 19, 2018, at 4:19 PM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@xxxxxxxxxx>
Calcite 1.17 was released on 20th July (2 months ago) and since
there have been almost 100 commits.
Does anyone have constraints on when 1.18 should be released?
opinion: we should aim for 3 months after 1.17, and therefore we
an RC before 10th October.)
Does anyone have any JIRA cases that they would like to get into
but they have not yet finished?
Who would like to be release manager?

Do we need a new Avatica release before we make this Calcite
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2467 <
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2467> describes one
to do so: jetty versions. Also, it would be nice if both projects
new parent POM (see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2486 <
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2486>) but it’s not