osdir.com


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [DISCUSS] Towards Calcite 1.18


Zoltan,

Can you give us a status update please?

The release train is waiting for you.

Julian


> On Dec 16, 2018, at 12:20 PM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 
> An update on release 1.18.
> 
> We have had two release candidates RC0 and RC1, and both votes have
> been cancelled due to faults found by Hive's test suite.
> 
> I will roll RC2 when I hear from Zoltan that the Hive suite has passed
> against the latest commit. See
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2731.
> 
> Jacques just pushed a fix to master. I backed it out because (a) our
> policy is to release from master branch, which means that we have to
> lock master during releases, and (b) his commit generated warnings. It
> will go into 1.19. See
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2736.
> 
> I let Jesus commit a minor addendum to
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2673 on Friday.
> 
> Julian
> On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 6:04 PM Francis Chuang <francischuang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 
>> Julian,
>> 
>> Avatica 1.13.0 has been tagged and pushed. I also uploaded the release
>> artifacts and I am just waiting for the artifacts to propagate across
>> the mirrors before I make a formal announcement and push the website.
>> 
>> Francis
>> 
>> On 3/12/2018 10:08 am, Julian Hyde wrote:
>>> Francis,
>>> 
>>> Much appreciated! The nexus push was successful, and I was able to use
>>> avatica-1.13 in builds. I'll make sure that we do not announce the
>>> Calcite release 1.18, or push the
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2716 fix to master,
>>> until avatica-1.13 is officially announced.
>>> 
>>> Julian
>>> 
>>> On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 12:23 AM Francis Chuang <francischuang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>> Thanks for taking this on, Julian!
>>>> 
>>>> The vote for Avatica 1.13.0 has closed and I plan to release the 1.13.0
>>>> soon (I need to wait for the docker hub repository in INFRA-17333 [1] to
>>>> be created, otherwise the docker hub build will fail once I push the tag
>>>> for rel/avatica-1.13.0.
>>>> 
>>>> I've promoted the 1.13.0 repository in nexus, so this should not block
>>>> Calcite 1.18.0-rc0.
>>>> 
>>>> Francis
>>>> 
>>>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-17333
>>>> 
>>>> On 1/12/2018 11:11 pm, Michael Mior wrote:
>>>>> Thanks Julian! Unfortunately with family visiting this weekend, my
>>>>> bandwidth is currently fairly low but I'll try to churn through some PRs
>>>>> early this coming week.
>>>>> 
>>>>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 23:00 Julian Hyde <jhyde@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>>>> 
>>>>>> It looks as if Avatica will be released soon, and as that was our main
>>>>>> dependency for Calcite 1.18, we can move ahead with the release.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> I volunteer to be release manager for Calcite 1.18, and propose that we
>>>>>> make an RC on Monday.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> There are a lot of PRs (107 open currently)[1]. I can’t get through them
>>>>>> all myself, so I will need help reviewing & merging them. (If you are
>>>>>> committer, look in the JIRA case to see whether someone has begun reviewing
>>>>>> the PR. I am reviewing several right now.)
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Even with help, we are not going to get to all PRs. That will have to be
>>>>>> OK; it has been too long since we had a release, and we just don’t have
>>>>>> enough active committers to deal with the number of incoming contributions.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Julian
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> [1] https://github.com/apache/calcite/pulls
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> On Nov 6, 2018, at 4:24 AM, Michael Mior <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Not strictly necessary I believe, but I know there's a desire to upgrade
>>>>>>> Jetty in Calcite that can't happen until the Avatica release, so it would
>>>>>>> be nice to see that happen first.
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Le lun. 5 nov. 2018 à 16:31, Francis Chuang <francischuang@xxxxxxxxxx> a
>>>>>>> écrit :
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> I think we should consider releasing new versions of Calcite and Avatica
>>>>>>>> soon, especially with the Thanksgiving holiday in North America and
>>>>>>>> Christmas + New Year later in December/January coming up.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Am I correct to assume that we need to release Avatica 1.13.0 before
>>>>>>>> Calcite 1.18.0?
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> If so, I am able to be release manager for Avatica if no one else is
>>>>>>>> interested.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> On 21/10/2018 6:13 PM, Michael Mior wrote:
>>>>>>>>> Thanks for continuing to push releases forward! Unfortunately I won't
>>>>>> be
>>>>>>>>> able to volunteer to be release manager this time around, but I'll try
>>>>>> to
>>>>>>>>> set aside some time to go through some PRs.
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> On Sat, Oct 20, 2018, 02:21 Julian Hyde <jhyde@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> OK, it's now exactly 3 months since 1.17. I think it's time. I think
>>>>>>>>>> we should aim for a first RC a week from today (Friday 26th October).
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Can we have a volunteer to be release manager?
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Also, there are lots of PRs to review and merge. Please help out with
>>>>>>>>>> that task, committers.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Julian
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 11:00 AM Julian Hyde <jhyde@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>> We’ll be sure to get PRs into the release. If you like, you can make
>>>>>>>> the
>>>>>>>>>> JIRA case depend on those 3 cases - that will remind us.
>>>>>>>>>>> (Other contributors: You can do that also, but only if you have a PR
>>>>>>>>>> that you believe is ready to submit.)
>>>>>>>>>>>> On Sep 20, 2018, at 8:18 AM, Andrew Pilloud
>>>>>>>>>> <apilloud@xxxxxxxxxx.INVALID> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>> Beam has a few JIRAs we'd like to see make the next release (which
>>>>>>>> will
>>>>>>>>>>>> enable us to replace 11k lines of code with calls to Calcite). They
>>>>>>>> all
>>>>>>>>>>>> have open PRs.
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> * https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2404 Accessing
>>>>>>>>>>>> structured-types is not implemented by the runtime
>>>>>>>>>>>> * https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2529 linq4j should
>>>>>>>>>> promote
>>>>>>>>>>>> integer to floating point when generating function calls
>>>>>>>>>>>> * https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2571 TRIM does not
>>>>>>>>>> match
>>>>>>>>>>>> the behavior of most SQL implementations
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> Andrew
>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 6:38 PM Kevin Risden <krisden@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>>>>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>> 9/25 should be the GA release of JDK 11 according to [1]. Would be
>>>>>>>>>> good to
>>>>>>>>>>>>> ensure that the next release is compatible with it. We should be in
>>>>>>>>>> good
>>>>>>>>>>>>> shape but would be a good release note too.
>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1. http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/11/
>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kevin Risden
>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Sep 19, 2018, 20:56 Francis Chuang <
>>>>>> francischuang@xxxxxxxxxx
>>>>>>>>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> For avatica, there are currently 6 open PRs. A few of them appear
>>>>>> to
>>>>>>>>>> be
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> blocked due to incompatibilities with JDK or something else.
>>>>>> Perhaps
>>>>>>>>>> the
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> situation has now changed and we can get those in for 1.13.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On 20/09/2018 9:26 AM, Julian Hyde wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I have logged
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> * https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2576 <
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2576> Release
>>>>>> Avatica
>>>>>>>>>> 1.13
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> * https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2575 <
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2575> Release
>>>>>> Calcite
>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1.18.0
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On Sep 19, 2018, at 4:19 PM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Calcite 1.17 was released on 20th July (2 months ago) and since
>>>>>>>>>> then
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> there have been almost 100 commits.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Does anyone have constraints on when 1.18 should be released?
>>>>>> (My
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> opinion: we should aim for 3 months after 1.17, and therefore we
>>>>>>>> will
>>>>>>>>>>>>> need
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> an RC before 10th October.)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Does anyone have any JIRA cases that they would like to get into
>>>>>>>>>> 1.18
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> but they have not yet finished?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Who would like to be release manager?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Do we need a new Avatica release before we make this Calcite
>>>>>>>>>> release?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2467 <
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2467> describes one
>>>>>>>>>> reason
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> to do so: jetty versions. Also, it would be nice if both projects
>>>>>>>>>> used
>>>>>>>>>>>>> the
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> new parent POM (see
>>>>>>>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2486 <
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2486>) but it’s not
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> essential.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Julian
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 
>>