Re: [DISCUSS] State of the project 2018

I second Francis’ nomination as PMC chair.

I concur with others about what is good and bad about the project. We have a much higher rate of contributions this year than previous years - we are getting a lot of high-quality PRs out of the blue. This is excellent news for the project, because it means that it is being used for some serious projects, with high-quality salaried developers working on it.

The bad news is that we are having a hard time keeping up with those pull requests. I have always said that we have a duty to give each PR prompt acknowledgement, review and, after necessary change, merge to master. If we don’t, people will stop contributing. We are failing in that commitment.

We can talk about solutions, but I think we need to do a better job of converting committers (who have the commit-bit but don’t use it) into active committers (who help with the running of the project). Each project has a “commons” that is neglected if people act in their own self-interest [1], and our “commons” is reviewing and release-management. We’re a good bunch of people who work together well, but I’d like to see a little more time devoted to “mowing the lawn” (or whatever one does to keep commons in good shape).

I would like to thank Francis for his extraordinary efforts maintaining Avatica-Go; and, Francis and Kevin, who have been taking on more of the load in Avatica recently.

Are there any technology areas that we should be pushing forward? The idea of the “commons” applies here too - for most features, it is sufficient to wait until someone needs it, but for some, we need to do the initial work in order to show what is possible. I have been doing that work for Babel (the lenient SQL parser), streaming, materialized view recommendation and matching, and recently MATCH_RECOGNIZE.

Lastly, how is Calcite’s architecture holding up? Are we the right “form factor” for the kind of projects that could use us? Are we perhaps over-fitted to projects with a big JVM?

Julian

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons