Re: Avatica CI test failures

I made an initial attempt at replacing the AVATICA_VERSION in the dockerfiles during a build using the maven-replacer-plugin and the scm plugin. Unfortunately, I was not able to get it to work correctly. The commit is here: https://github.com/F21/calcite-avatica/commit/d3f13910e6db1fbe536933c1c7c619bfdd5f5c93

I won't have any more time to look at it for the rest of the week. If someone wants to take a stab, please check out the commit.

While researching how to implement this, I came across an answer on StackOverflow where the author outlined some issues with this approach: https://stackoverflow.com/a/47817363/624884

In summary, they used scm:checkin to commit the files. This meant that they will also be committed even when the -DdryRun=true argument is used. I tried scm:add in my own version, but couldn't get the files to update or change.

I think using docker hooks per Vladimir's suggestion is probably the simplest way. The implementation is quite simple, we simply set ARG AVATICA_VERSION to empty in our dockerfiles. We then create files in the hooks folder for each build phase of the dockerfiles we want to intercept. The hook would just be a simple bash script where we can pass the tag being built to the docker build command. See an example of one I implemented for one of my projects here: https://github.com/Boostport/kubernetes-vault/blob/master/cmd/init/hooks/build

If there is consensus on using docker hooks, I think it should be possible to get that included into the 1.13.0-rc0 release.