Re: Charset support proposal

I agree that a change to RelDataTypeSystem is probably not necessary. But at the code level, we have to solve the following problem: there are many, many places where CHAR or VARCHAR types are created. Each of those will need to be assigned the correct char set. We need to make sure that those char sets are assigned correctly, which in some cases will use the table, session or system default, and in others will be assigned from existing CHAR or VARCHAR types. So, the challenge is to do this without verbosity and minimizing the chances of coder error. After all, the person maintaining this code will likely not be an expert in NLS.