Re: Potential student projects

There’s always more work to be done in Geospatial, e.g. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2031 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2031>. The easy part is to create scalar (row-at-a-time) implementations of spatial functions, but the real fun starts when you transform queries to use materialized views (“indexes”). Until now, everything has been on rectangular grids and space-filling curves (i.e. assuming flat-earth) but indexing using Uber H3 [1] or Google S2 would be challenging and cutting-edge.

Julian

[1] https://github.com/uber/h3