Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping old Guava support

Frankly, I think we're being poor citizens by encouraging this kind of (poor) dependency hygiene with Guava by defaulting to known vulnerable versions in our POMs.

As a library, we should be ensuring that folks can use Avatica/Calcite in their applications. This is not only from a compatibility POV (e.g. can you use Calcite with your Guava version of choice), but also from a confidence in security as not everyone will invest the time to look into the details behind a CVE.

Specifically, with our declaration of the old version of Guava in the POM, an unsuspecting user may just use that version instead of swapping in a newer one. As a library, we don't know how the user may be using Calcite -- they may be doing things with Java or GWT serialization.

All that said, I agree that this specific CVE is not a high-risk scenario for the project. However, that must be tempered with security organizations who treat these issues as black and white. Many security organizations in regulated industries don't "care" about the scope of a CVE; they simply cannot use a version of software that includes "vulnerable" code.

What if we switch things around: instead of depending on the older on in the POMs, we switch to the newer one and do release testing around the older ones that folks have an interest in supporting? If a certain module needs a specific version of Guava (e.g. Cassandra tests), then we can mark that version at test-time for that specific module.

- Josh