Re: SQL Query Set Analyzer

James,
I am the creator of Quark (Hopefully you meant this project:
https://github.com/qubole/quark). Quark was an experiment in federated
materialized views. We noticed that data teams store views of their data in
Redshift, Vertica etc but the relationships were not captured. I dont think
Quark will be a complete solution for your use case. There are too many
gaps that I wont get into in this thread.

To make sure I understand correctly, what you need is:
- A data engine that supports materialized views
- An analysis and recommendation engine for managing materialized views.

If you use Hive, then materialized views are available and what is
currently missing is the recommendation engine.
If you use Presto or Spark, then materialized views are not yet available.
The choices are (in decreasing order of effort) :
- Add materialized views support to these engines.
- Add Calcite as an alternate optimizer and use materialized views.

We've tried both and decided on a third approach because of the effort
involved and turn around time in a live solution.

- Support a simplified version of Materialized Views like Vertica
Projections or Dremio Reflections.
We realized through experiments and on customer data that we can get
substantial performance improvements by having materialized views on single
tables that support simple transformations like
- Sorting or bucketing
- Narrow tables (contains a subset of columns)

This dramatically simplifies the implementation of optimizer rules and the
recommendation engine. The downside is that this approach cannot optimize
joins or aggregates. However, it seems like a good step in the right
direction.

We have code for this approach in Hive, Presto and Spark as well as a
proof-of-concept recommendation engine. Since this is not standard SQL and
we dont have an open source distribution of these engines, we dont have a
good vehicle to open source these components.  I can provide patches if
there is interest. The experience is similar to Vertica Projections.

If you take this approach, then the effort is not huge. From our experience
it is about 2-3 man months to have a working version.