Re: SQL Query Set Analyzer

There are many possible analyzers, but Lattice Suggester is one that I am working on and is relatively mature. It looks at lots of queries and builds lattices (star schemas with measures) from those queries. It finds commonality by “growing” lattices - adding measures, adding derived expressions, adding many-to-one joins. Lattice Suggester takes a set of SQL query strings, then it parses them (to SqlNode), validates, and converts to relational algebra (RelNode). Then it looks for patterns in the relational algebra. Working at the algebra level as opposed to the SQL parse tree is a net benefit, but some things (e.g. figuring out the original column alias for an expression) are a bit more difficult.

Lattice suggester is under development in my https://github.com/julianhyde/calcite/tree/1870-lattice-suggester <https://github.com/julianhyde/calcite/tree/1870-lattice-suggester> branch. The tests pass, and I hope to have it merged into master in the next month or two.

I agree with Devjyoti that it’s difficult to gather together all possible analyses in one tool. Lattice Suggester is a good base for analyses that model queries as a filter/project/aggregate of a pre-joined star schema — a very common model in BI; for example, it could model which combinations of columns are commonly used as filters.

For analyses that are not tied to star schemas, feel free to create new tools. The tools would benefit from collaborative development, and I think that Calcite would be a good home for them.

Julian