[DISCUSS] Towards Avatica 1.12.0

Avatica 1.11.0 was released on March 6 (more than 3 months ago). We should discuss the next release (1.12.0).

The current consensus is to have a release in around 2 weeks.

The JIRA tracking the release is CALCITE-2330 [1].

As the release cycle for this would is a bit short, I think it would be a good idea to focus our efforts on low hanging fruit, bugs and features/enhancements that won't take a lot of time (unless someone is able to dedicate significant resources).

Personally, I would love to see the following fixed:

CALCITE-1951 [2]: Avatica with HSQLDB loses fractional seconds. Kevin and Josh has done some investigation, so I hope this is a relatively simple fix. Test is here: https://github.com/apache/calcite-avatica/pull/36

CALCITE-2250 [3]: Avatica with HSQLDB hangs when using multiple transactions. Kevin has done some investigation and the issue is easily reproducible.

CALCITE-2219 [4]: Acvtica Connection/Statement/ResultSet don't throw if resource is closed. Work has started: https://github.com/apache/calcite-avatica/pull/33

CALCITE-2333 [5]: Stop releasing ZIPs. Assigned to myself.

Nice to haves:

CALCITE-1049 [7]: SQLException not correctly propagated. This is preventing clients from taking different actions when they encounter different SQLExceptions. However, the fix might not be too simple.

I'd also like to use this release to clean up the PRs on Github:

CALCITE-1884 [8]: DateTimeUtils produces incorrect results for days before Gregorian cutovers. https://github.com/apache/calcite-avatica/pull/11 The PR is almost a year old. Can someone please take a look at this so we can merge or close it?

CALCITE-2294 [9]: Allow customization for plugging in new authentication mechanisms. Is active and will be in this release: https://github.com/apache/calcite-avatica/pull/48

CALCITE-2322 [10]: Add fetch size support to connection URL and JDBC state. Seems to be implemented, can someone please review? https://github.com/apache/calcite-avatica/pull/49

CALCITE-2303 [11]: Support extraction of microseconds, milliseconds, epoch, isodow, isoyear and decade. Can someone please review? https://github.com/apache/calcite-avatica/pull/50

Are there any other features or bugs people would like implemented or fixed?

Francis

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2330

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1951

[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-2250