Re: Rebind historic persisted state: referencing wrap:mvn bundles

Hi all,

I've just been speaking to Alex about this.

Turns out it's more complicated...

The name generated by wrap:mvn will vary depending on the user's runtime environment. For example, when Alex took a brooklyn build and looked at the symbolic name of a `wrap:mvn` bundle, it included the runtime path of his brooklyn install!

---

First, I think we should strongly recommend that people using `wrap:mvn` specify the symbolic name and version explicitly [1], such as:

wrap:mvn:com.amazonaws/aws-java-sdk-bundle/1.11.411$Bundle-SymbolicName=com.amazonaws.aws-java-sdk-bundle&Bundle-Version=1.11.411

---

If we went down the deserializingClassRenames.properties approach, we'd need to support wildcards in the bundle name:

     wrap_.*_aws-java-sdk-bundle-1.11.245.jar\:*  : com.amazonaws.aws-java-sdk-bundle\:*

That doesn't feel good - evaluating the regex on every class-load will be inefficient.

---

Another way I'm looking at, and have discussed with Alex, is to include in the newer version of the bundle the header:

    Brooklyn-Catalog-Upgrade-For-Bundles = wrap:com_amazonaws_aws-java-sdk-bundle:0

(we can add that header to the `wrap:mvn` command, for when we generate the new version of aws-java-sdk-bundle:1.11.411.)

We already support this header for upgrading explicit bundle names, but not for auto-generated weird bundle names!

This would tell Brooklyn that our new version of the bundle will upgrade auto-wrapped bundle of com_amazonaws_aws-java-sdk-bundle.

I'm looking at how easy it would be to add this to org.apache.brooklyn.core.typereg.BundleUpgradeParser, and whether we'd avoid the regex evaluation of every class-load.

Aled

[1] https://ops4j1.jira.com/wiki/spaces/paxurl/pages/3833898/Wrap+Protocol