Re: LICENSE file questions - MIT, binary, process

Hi Alex,

Catching up on this email thread. Sorry I'm late and if I cover things that
have already been discussed.

Just as a general note I wrote this page on the Brooklyn website to turn
the generic Apache legal requirements into something tailored for our
Java+Maven+JS project. If during this exercise we discover an error or
omission on that page, let's update it.
https://brooklyn.apache.org/v/latest/dev/code/licensing.html

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 at 13:47, Alex Heneveld <alex.heneveld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> In prepping the new UI contribution I've been working on the LICENSE
> file generation.  It is rather extensive because by using Angular we
> pull in hundreds of JS deps for the binary, most of them under MIT
> license which as I understand it means copyright information must be
> reproduced in the LICENSE for the binary dist.  This is based on the MIT
> clause "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
> included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software" in
> accordance with the principle that copyright extends to translations.
> While it would be tempting to treat the compiled/minified version as not
> a copy and so not requiring the copyright -- and that may well be the
> intention of many MIT license users (contrasted with BSD which
> explicitly calls out binaries as requiring the copyright) -- I don't
> believe we can hide behind that.  (So JS devs please take note, please
> use the Apache License! :) )
>

> Question 1:  Is this correct, our binaries LICENSE files need to list
> all MIT, BSD, ISC licensed dependencies whose minified/compiled output
> is included in our binary dist?

Yes I believe this is correct. Copyright generally follows "is X a
derivative of Y", and if X is the compiler output from source Y then yes it
is a derivative - unless the license makes a distinction it's safest to
assume that the compiled output is subject to the same license as the
source input.

https://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html contains some relevant
information here. In particular, it clarifies that the license of all
bundled dependencies must be included in LICENSE, and also that "what
applies to canonical source distributions also applies to all
redistributions, including binary redistributions", and that "when
assembling binary distributions, it is common to pull in and bundle
additional dependencies which are not bundled with the source distribution.
These additional dependencies must be accounted for in LICENSE and NOTICE."

In the process I've noticed we in Brooklyn don't currently distinguish
> consistently between the source LICENSE and binary LICENSE.  As I
> understand it from [1], the LICENSE file included with source projects
> -- including I believe the one at the root of the git repo -- should
> refer to resources included in the source only.  Dependencies that are
> downloaded as part of the build and included in the binary should not be
> listed in those LICENSE files, but they must be included in any binary
> build (eg the RPM, TGZ).

Yes this is true. Generally the ready-to-run binaries bundle a lot more
stuff then the source archives so have a much bigger LICENSE. Just to make
life even more interesting, sometimes things in the source distribution
disappear during compilation and don't appear in the binary! I believe that
this is the case for Google Auto Value - it's annotations are compile-time
only so don't appear in the JAR file, Auto Value does all its work during
the build, and nothing of Auto Value itself appears in the compilation
output.

> It's not yet a big issue as it doesn't matter for Apache licensed
> dependencies as they do not require copyright inclusion or attribution
> and these are the bulk of what we do.  Where we do need to look more
> closely I think are:

[...]

> Question 2:  Does the above sound right?

Good catch on these. Yes they sound like there's some attention needed
there.

Finally one more question -- it's easy to tweak the process to include
> Apache-licensed dependencies used in the binary.  While this isn't
> legally required AFAIK it seems like a nice thing to do.
>
> Question 3:  Is everyone okay with giving a shout-out to Apache-licensed
> deps in addition to MIT, BSD, etc, within our binary LICENSE ?

I don't know of any reason why not. We're all one big happy family here,
seems inappropriate to give big shouts to external dependencies but not to
our fellow ASF projects, without which we would not be here!

Thanks for looking into this Alex. License compliance is an ugly task. The
PMC owes you a beer :-)

Richard.