Re: Routing events by key

Perhaps what you're looking for is WithKeys [1]? Any PCollection<KV<.,.>> is essentially a KeyedDataStream. GroupByKey colocates the values for a given key (and window). What isn't promised by Apache Beam is that successive (key, value) pairs with the same key must be processed sequentially, on the same machine. In practice, all runners do so after a GBK. (Note that in the face of worker failure, no runner can 100% provide this guarantee.)

[1] https://beam.apache.org/documentation/sdks/javadoc/2.5.0/org/apache/beam/sdk/transforms/WithKeys.html