Re: Evolving a Coder for an added field

Picking this back up, I've modified the PR [0] to add a MetadataCoderV2 that encodes/decodes the new lastModifiedMillis, and MetadataCoder now provides a default -1 value for lastModifiedMillis when decoding to maintain compatibility. The intent is to follow the same pattern as the existing TableDestinationCoderV2. MetadataCoder remains the default registered coder for Metadata, so MetadataCoderV2 is strictly opt-in at this point.

I'm hoping to get review on the above so the change can be available in the short term, while work continues to understand the way forward for coder versioning. I added a link to this thread to BEAM-3616 [1] which already captures the need for coder versioning.