Re: [DISCUSS] SplittableDoFn Java SDK User Facing API

Some late comments, and my pre excuses if some questions look silly,
but the last documents were a lot of info that I have not yet fully
digested.

I have some questions about the ‘new’ Backlog concept following a
quick look at the PR
https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/6969/files

1. Is the Backlog a specific concept for each IO? Or in other words:
ByteKeyRestrictionTracker can be used by HBase and Bigtable, but I am
assuming from what I could understand that the Backlog implementation
will be data store specific, is this the case? or it can be in some
case generalized (for example for Filesystems)?

2. Since the backlog is a byte[] this means that it is up to the user
to give it a meaning depending on the situation, is this correct? Also
since splitRestriction has now the Backlog as an argument, what do we
expect the person that implements this method in a DoFn to do ideally
with it? Maybe a more concrete example of how things fit for
File/Offset or HBase/Bigtable/ByteKey will be helpful (maybe also for
the BundleFinalizer concept too).

3. By default all Restrictions are assumed to be unbounded but there
is this new Restrictions.IsBounded method, can’t this behavior be
inferred (adapted) from the DoFn UnboundedPerElement/Bounded
annotation or are these independent concepts?

Extra unrelated comment:
Since SDF is still @Experimental we should probably rename
OffsetRangeTracker and ByteKeyRangeTracker into the RestrictionTracker
suffix (I don’t know why they share the RangeTracker suffix for the
new trackers, WDYT?