Re: Never get spotless errors with this one weird trick

Thanks for sharing the trick.

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 9:30 AM Kenneth Knowles <kenn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

Scott just separated the spotless check from the Java unit test precommit job, so you get faster feedback on spotless errors.

I wondered if there was a good place to just always reformat, and whether it was fast enough to be OK. The answer is yes, and yes.

You can set up a git precommit hook to always autoformat code, by putting this in .git/hooks/pre-commit and setting the executable bit.

    #!/bin/sh
    set -e
    ./gradlew spotlessApply

If you haven't used git hooks, the docs are here: https://git-scm.com/docs/githooks. I'll call out that --no-verify will skip it and `chmod u-x` will disable it.

Then testing the time:

 - From a fresh checkout ./gradlew spotlessJavaApply took 24s configuration and 49s spotlessApply
 - Then I modified one file in nexmark, messed up the formatting, and committed
 - The re-run took 1s in configuration and 4s in spotlessApply

So this will add ~5s of waiting each time you `git commit`. You can decide if it is worth it to you. If you are a "push a bunch of commits to be squashed" GitHub user, you could amortize it by making it a pre-push hook that adds a spotless commit (`git commit --fixup HEAD`).

Kenn