Re: [DISCUSS] Gradle for the build ?

Some rough stats (because I was curious): The gradle files have been edited by ~79 unique contributors over 696 distinct commits, whereas the maven ones were edited (over a longer time period) by ~130 unique contributors over 1389 commits [1]. This doesn't capture how much effort was put into these edits, but neither is restricted to a small set of experts.

Regarding "friendly for other languages" I don't think either is necessarily easy to learn, but my impression is that the maven learning curve shallower for those already firmly embedded in the Java ecosystem (perhaps due to leveraging existing familiarity, and perhaps some due to the implicit java-centric conventions that maven assumed about your project), whereas with gradle at least I could keep pulling on the string to unwind things to the bottom. The "I just want to build/test X without editing/viewing the build files" seemed more natural with Gradle (e.g. I can easily list all tasks).

That being said, I don't think everyone needs to understand the full build system. It's important that there be a critical mass that do (we have that for both, and if we can simplify to improve this that'd be great), it's easy enough to do basic changes (e.g. add a dependency, again I don't think the barrier is sufficiently different for either), and works well out of the box for someone who just wants to look up a command on the website and edit code (the CLI is an improvement with Gradle, but it's clear that (java) IDE support is a significant regression).

Personally, I don't know much about IDE configuration (admittedly the larger issue), but one action item I can take on is trying to eliminate the need to do a "git clean" after building certain targets (assuming I can reproduce this).

Perhaps we should go through and prioritize (and add missing items to) BEAM-4045 https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=parent%20%3D%20BEAM-4045%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC ? There's always a long tail with this kind of thing, and looking at the whole list can be daunting, but putting it in the correct order and knocking off the top N items could possibly go a long way.

- Robert

[1] The commands I ran were (with and without the uniq)

$ find . -name 'build.gradle' | xargs git log | grep Author: | grep -o '[^< ]*@' | sort | uniq | wc
$ find . -name 'pom.xml' | xargs git log | grep Author: | grep -o '[^< ]*@' | sort | uniq | wc