Re: What is required for LTS releases? (was: [PROPOSAL] Prepare Beam 2.8.0 release)

The simplest thing we can do is just to pin all the deps of the LTS
and not move them in any maintenance release if not a strong reason to
do so.

The next subject is to make maintainers aware of which release will be
the LTS in advance so they decide what to do with the dependencies
versions. In my previous mail I mentioned all the possible cases that
can happen with dependencies and it is clear that one unified policy
won’t satisfy every one. So better let the maintainers (who can also
ask for user feedback in the ML) to decide about  versions before the
release.

Alexey’s question is still a really important issue, and has been so
far ignored. What happens with the ‘Experimental’ APIs in the LTS.
Options are:

(1) We keep consistent with Experimental which means that they are
still not guarantees (note that this does not mean that they will be
broken arbitrarily).
(2) We are consistent with the LTS approach which makes them ‘non
experimental’ for the LTS so we will guarantee the functionality/API
stable.

I personally have conflicted opinions I would like to favor (1) but
this is not consistent with the whole idea of LTS so probably (2) is
wiser.

Finally I also worry about Tim’s remarks on performance and quality,
even if some of these things effectively can be fixed in a subsequent
LTS release. Users will probably prefer a LTS to start with Beam and
if the performance/quality of the LTS, this can hurt perception of the
project.