Re: [DISCUSS] Gradle for the build ?

Thanks for starting this thread.

I would go for 1. To all the problems that you described I'd add improving documentation - there are still some places that have only maven instructions (eg. word count examples). There already are some docs that provide help [1], [2]. Should we incorporate them to Beam's confluence?

I don't think 2 is the way to go. All the problems described above do not seem to be unfixable (are the issues with the current Gradle setup are impossible to fix?). We should focus on the fixes not on bringing back maven and adapting it to current requirements.

FWIW, from my experience in working on contributions, I'm not affected by the first three problems that you described. I rarely need to build the whole project and I never had problems with daemon and parallel builds. It is also easier for me to work with Gradle thanks to its great DSL and composable tasks.

Łukasz