Re: [Discuss] Upgrade story for Beam's execution engines

Hi Max,

I totally agree with your points especially the users priorities (stick to the already working version) , and the need to leverage important new features. It is indeed a difficult balance to find .

I can talk for a part I know: for the Spark runner, the aim was to support Dataset native spark API (in place of RDD). For that we needed to upgrade to spark 2.x (and we will probably leverage Beam Row as well).
But such an upgrade is a good amount of work which makes it difficult to commit on a schedule such as "if there is a major new feature on an execution engine that we want to leverage, then the upgrade in Beam will be done within x months".

Regarding your point on portability : decoupling SDK from runner with runner harness and SDK harness might make pipeline authors work easy regarding pipeline maintenance. But, still, if we upgrade runner libs, then the users might have their runner harness not work with their engine version.
If such SDK/runner decoupling is 100% functional, then we could imaging having multiple runner harnesses shipping different versions of the runner libs to solve this problem.
But we would need to support more than one version of the runner libs. We chose not to do this on spark runner.

WDYT ?

Best
Etienne