Re: [DISCUSS] Unification of Hadoop related IO modules

I'd vote for (1).

For most of the IO modules, it makes sense to develop and keep read and write parts together given that they usually connect to the same datastore. But hadoop-input-format and hadoop-output-format are simply a level of indirection to connect to various data stores supported by Hadoop. Also, probably hadoop-format is not a common term used in Hadoop ecosystem ?

hadoop-file-system is a FileSystem not a source/sink so makes sense to keep it separate. Also looks like we have connectors for other products from Hadoop ecosystem as separate modules.

Regarding breaking changes, I think for IOs it's better to make old classes proxies and keep them around (and deprecated) to not break users if we decide to take that route.  For any non-experimental code we'll have to keep old classes around till Beam 3.0.

Thanks,
Cham