Re: SplittableDoFn

Thanks for taking this up. I added some comments to the doc. A European-friendly time for discussion would be great.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 3:14 AM Lukasz Cwik <lcwik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I came up with a proposal[1] for a progress model solely based off of the backlog and that splits should be based upon the remaining backlog we want the SDK to split at. I also give recommendations to runner authors as to how an autoscaling system could work based upon the measured backlog. A lot of discussions around progress reporting and splitting in the past has always been around finding an optimal solution, after reading a lot of information about work stealing, I don't believe there is a general solution and it really is upto SplittableDoFns to be well behaved. I did not do much work in classifying what a well behaved SplittableDoFn is though. Much of this work builds off ideas that Eugene had documented in the past[2].

I could use the communities wide knowledge of different I/Os to see if computing the backlog is practical in the way that I'm suggesting and to gather people's feedback.

If there is a lot of interest, I would like to hold a community video conference between Sept 10th and 14th about this topic. Please reply with your availability by Sept 6th if your interested.