Re: Community Examples Repository

The way I see it, the examples repo needs not be versioned. Each example should specify it's dependencies the same way any external application would. In Python this would be the requirements.txt where we can specify apache-beam>=2.5.0 for example. For Java, it can be specified in the pom.xml file. This would show users how to use Beam for their own applications as Jesse mentioned.

A high friction point I've experienced in Java is creating a new pom file, so having a repository of examples that can be copy-pasted with a minimal and working pom file would be great.

In terms of packaging, I think we can get away with it just being a collection of independent examples with a testing infrastructure. Testing should be trigger-able at the root, but each sample should be tested in its own isolated environment. Since there are no dependencies, all examples can be tested in parallel. For every example, create its virtual environment, run all the tests and destroy it.

If we want the examples to also live in PyPI, then we would require versioning (major.minor.patch). Since it doesn't really matter, we can just have the major.minor part mirror the current apache-beam version for consistency, and as new examples get added / modified we can bump the patch version indefinitely.