Runner agnostic Metrics

Hello,

I would like to ask about Beam's runner agnostic metrics I found in 2.5.0 release notes.

I am considering to abandon Flink specific reporter in favour of this one, but when looking at code, it seems feature is not fully integrated. Here:

https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/279a05604b83a54e8e5a79e13d8761f94841f326/runners/flink/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/flink/FlinkRunner.java#L127

I noticed comment:
   // no metricsPusher because metrics are not supported in detached mode

Question. Is there a source where I can read and learn about current limitations and plans to solve them. To require attached mode for metrics to work seems to bit fragile to me.

Thanks,
Jozef