Python 3 support in the Python SDK

Hello,

The Beam Python SDK does not currently support Python 3. This limits the use of Beam itself, as well as some other projects depending on it (e.g. TensorFlow Model Analysis [1]).

There is an ongoing effort on making the SDK Python 3-compatible (see e.g. [2]). However, there is no up-to-date roadmap listing all the parts involved and the corresponding status. Therefore my question: what would be a good way to coordinate the work? Should I polish the umbrella ticket [3] and do status updates there?

I'd be happy to discuss this further either on the #beam-python Slack channel, or directly on the mailing list.

Regards,
Sergei

[1]: https://github.com/tensorflow/model-analysis/issues/8
[2]: https://github.com/apache/beam/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+%22python+3%22