Re: Rebasing master

I personally feel pretty strongly about having a linear commit history
with no merge commits.

Another option is that we add an option to the PR merge tool to merge
into a branch other than master during release votes. So we can
continue to merge PRs and then rebase those onto master later. There's
risk that a contributor will forget to use the CLI option to merge
into something other than master.