Re: Is `airflow backfill` disfunctional?

Thinking out loud here, because it is a while back that I did work on backfills. There were some real issues with backfills:

1. Tasks were running in non deterministic order ending up in regular deadlocks
2. Didn’t create dag runs, making behavior inconsistent. Max dag runs could not be enforced. Ui could really display it, lots of minor other issues because of it.
3. Behavior was different from the scheduler, while subdagoperators particularly make use of backfills at the moment.

I think with 3 the behavior you are observing crept in. And given 3 I would argue a consistent behavior between the scheduler and the backfill mechanism is still paramount. Thus we should explicitly clear tasks from failed if we want to rerun them. This at least until we move the subdagoperator out of backfill and into the scheduler (which is actually not too hard). Also we need those command line options anyway.

Bolke

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad