Re: 1.10.0beta1 now available for download

Hey Bolke-
  Stabilizing the tree has nothing to do with getting a release
through IPMC.  The IPMC doesn't test the code - it only verifies that
the required licenses and legal obligations are met, that the release
artifacts meet the requirements to be processed through ASF's
publishing infra, etc.  Minor issues like a couple missing headers are
also now generally let through (since it's an incubator release), to
be fixed in the next go around.  And honestly, if a podling that
believes it's ready to graduate is still having trouble making sure
correct license headers are applied, that's a giant red flag that
there may be large remaining Apache Way issues to address.  Podlings
demonstrating their ability to follow ASF process and operate in the
Apache Way is the crux of the incubation process.

   Also, I entirely agree with you that it's much harder than it
should be to get the requisite votes from the IPMC.  I do quite a lot
of vote munging for all the podlings with which I'm involved and it's
always annoying.  The IPMC, like all of ASF, is made up of volunteers
and is not always as responsive as it should be.

  The process you describe as not having merit is a large part of the
ASF.  Specifically, preparing a release candidate is pretty well
documented across ASF [1,2,3,4].  The goals you describe (stabilizing
a new feature like the Kubernates executor, and rallying people to try
the code and fix bugs) are exactly what the RC process does as well.
And once the community gets experience in rolling RCs and running
release votes, it's actually not that much work.  Lots of projects
have multiple releases (main branches and bug fixes) going nearly
constantly.

  I'm not suggesting that we vote on alpha/beta releases.  I'm
pointing out that the goals of the alpha release as you describe them
match up very well with the goals of the RC process - which will need
to be done subsequently anyway.  I'm also saying that announcing
'betas' doesn't really jive with how ASF expects artifacts to be
released or voted on for release (which, if an artifact is up on
dist.apache.org, it most definitely appears to be).  My suggestion
would be to take this very meritorious effort and make it official.
Pick a release manager, create a branch, roll an RC, ask for people to
stabilize it, merge bug fixes but not features to the branch, repeat
until an RC passes a vote.

Thanks,
Jakob

[1] https://www.google.com/search?q=preparing+an+apache+release+candidate