Durable subscription queries and ways to handle rogue durable subscribers

Hi,
I wanted to know a few things about durable topic subscription which i
couldn't find on ActiveMQ documentation

1. Is it possible to purge all pending messages on the durable topic
subscription when the subscriber is not active, similar to purge operation
on the queues?

2. Is there a way to configure offlineDurableSubscriberTimeout on a per
topic basis? Currently my understanding is that it is a global setting (
http://activemq.apache.org/manage-durable-subscribers.html
<http://activemq.apache.org/manage-durable-subscribers.html>  )

The problem I am facing is that I have a topic with a producer that produces
throughout the day with a quite a high number of messages and if the durable
subscriber goes down for more than a few hours then a lot of messages gets
piled up. This has caused issues several times like -  activemq instance
gets unresponsive due to high memory consumption, the kahadb gets corrupted
because we have manually delete kahadb files as destory method doesn't work
in this situation etc.

Is there any other strategy to handle above situation?

Thanks,
Abhi